In Delhi NGT fine 2,232 Crore for bad waste management.
In India, 62 million tones of garbage is generated every year, compared to 11,000 to 11,500 tones in Delhi in a single day.
Waste management process Less than 5% decentralized processing in Delhi, almost 80% of centralized incetation based process. Which is via waste energy plants and then remaining of its dumped
Almitra Patel, a civic activist filed a petition in the supreme court in 1996.
This led to the enactment of the municipal solid waste management rules 2000.
Many petitions have been filed since, and many orders passed. But after 2016 modified municipal solid waste rules.
The NGT in Almitra Patel versus Union of India is monitoring the implementation of solid waste management rules 2016.
” Segregation is the responsibility of the waste generation”.
“Waste generation to pay user fee all steps of the waste chain may be outsourced”.
“Waste shall not be visible in public, nor in the open environment preventing its scattering”.
RDF (refuse derived fuel) plants to be preferred over waste to energy WTEs criteria for WTEs was also set up.
SWM(solid waste management ) Rules 2016 and SWM by laws encouraged integration of the informal sector into the waste value chain but the solid waste management system in Delhi barely offers any recommendations for informal waste pickers.
Informal sector is responsible for a lot of the collection even when formal sector actors get contractors they normally informally subcontract the informal sector.
Delhi produces the most garbage. But the waste management there has failed.
It is necessary to dispose of waste to save our ecosystem. Because the methane produced from it is very volatile. And at the same time the effect of global warming is also increasing.
- India is the 3rd country to form NGT
- NGT is a Statutory body. It was established on 18th October, 2010 under the national green tribunal act 2010.
- Established for effective and expenditures disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and expenditures disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources.
- New Delhi is the principal place of sitting of the tribunal and Bhopal, Pune, Kolkata and Chennai shall be the other four places of sitting of the tribunal.
- The tribunal is not bound by the procedure laid down under the code of civil procedure, 1908 but shall be guided by principle of natural justice.
- NGT is mounted to make disposal of applications or appeals finally within 6 months of filling the same.
Leave a Reply