Survey: Germany attracts international students with its excellent study conditions and promising job prospects. High satisfaction and desire to stay after graduation.
In a recent survey conducted by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), international students revealed the key factors that make Germany an attractive destination for their studies. The survey, known as the “Benchmark International University” (BintHo), collected responses from 13,871 international students, shedding light on the motivations behind their choice to study in Germany.
The survey yielded the following significant findings:
- Germany Reigns as Top Study Abroad Choice: An impressive 76% of the surveyed students identified Germany as their preferred destination for studying abroad. This highlights the country’s strong reputation as a leading educational hub.
- Study Conditions and Job Prospects Take Center Stage:
- Attractive Range of University Courses and Study Conditions: A remarkable 91% of respondents emphasized the appeal of Germany’s diverse range of university courses and favorable study conditions. Germany boasts a vast array of programs across various disciplines, catering to the diverse academic interests of international students.
- International Reputation of German Degrees: 88% of students recognized the esteemed international reputation associated with German degrees. German universities are renowned for their high academic standards, rigorous curriculum, and emphasis on research and innovation.
- Promising Career Prospects: 81% of respondents were enticed by the promising job opportunities available in Germany after graduation. The country’s robust economy, coupled with a strong emphasis on vocational training and collaboration with industry, makes it an attractive destination for students seeking to launch successful careers.
- Additional Motivations for Choosing Germany:
- Personal Development: 75% of students expressed a strong desire for personal growth, which they believed studying in Germany would provide. The country’s emphasis on holistic education, nurturing critical thinking, and fostering independent thought contributes to students’ personal and intellectual development.
- Cultural Interest: 64% of respondents were captivated by Germany’s rich cultural heritage, adding to the country’s appeal. Germany offers a vibrant cultural scene, including museums, historical sites, festivals, and a thriving arts and music scene, providing students with a unique opportunity to immerse themselves in a rich cultural tapestry.
- Experiential Learning: 59% of students sought to immerse themselves in new experiences outside of their university studies, further fueling their interest in Germany. The country’s central location in Europe offers easy access to diverse travel opportunities, allowing students to explore neighboring countries and embrace new perspectives.
- Favorable Views on Universities and Educators:
- University Recommendations: An overwhelming 82% of international students stated they would wholeheartedly recommend their current German university to others. This high level of satisfaction reflects the quality of education, supportive learning environment, and excellent academic resources provided by German universities.
- Aspirations to Stay: More than 60% of respondents expressed a desire to remain in Germany after completing their studies. This indicates the strong sense of belonging and the attraction of career prospects that Germany offers to international students.
- Inspiring Educators: Nearly three-quarters of students credited their teachers for playing a pivotal role in motivating them by sharing their own study abroad experiences. This highlights the positive impact of knowledgeable and supportive faculty members who encourage international students to pursue educational opportunities in Germany.
- Challenges Encountered by International Students:
- Accommodation Hurdles: For 26% of respondents, finding suitable housing posed a significant challenge upon their arrival in Germany. The high demand for affordable and convenient accommodation in popular university cities remains an ongoing concern that requires attention and support from institutions and housing providers.
- Covid-Related Restrictions: 22% of students faced difficulties due to pandemic-related limitations on planned activities. The global pandemic has posed unprecedented challenges for international students, impacting their ability to engage in social, cultural, and extracurricular activities. However, Germany’s response to the crisis, including comprehensive support measures for students, has been widely appreciated.
- Internationalization Aspirations among German Students:
- Desire for International Diversity: Approximately 38% of German students expressed a desire to have more international fellow students at their universities. Recognizing the value of diversity and intercultural exchange, German students embrace the opportunity to engage with peers from around the world, fostering a multicultural learning environment.
- Embracing Global Perspectives: Only 2% of German students preferred fewer international fellow students. This further highlights the openness and inclusive nature of German universities, encouraging collaboration and the exchange of ideas among students from different backgrounds.
- Experiences of Discrimination: A notable 12% of international students reported feeling affected by discrimination during their time in Germany. Addressing and combating discrimination is crucial to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for all students, regardless of their nationality or background.
DAAD President Professor Dr. Joybrato Mukherjee emphasized the significance of the BintHo study, hailing it as the largest survey on student mobility in Germany. He noted its crucial role in monitoring internationalization efforts by German universities and understanding the needs and aspirations of international students. The survey results firmly establish Germany as an exceptionally appealing destination for studying, thanks to its excellent study conditions, reputable degrees, promising career prospects, cultural richness, and supportive educational environment.
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) serves as Germany’s national agency dedicated to fostering international academic cooperation. It offers a range of programs and funding opportunities for students, faculty, researchers, and other stakeholders in higher education, facilitating international collaboration and promoting Germany as a top study destination.